Today, we live in society where you can talk, write and sing free about love. Most of the popular songs are written about love. All of you read books, poems, novels, watch movies and TV shows about this major human emotion – LOVE. Whether you are single, in a relationship or married, you have a need for love and you are searching for it every day. Yes, that’s the way it is, because as human beings we are created to love and be loved.
Sometimes we have distorted perception of what love actually is. Also, we have false expectations from our partners, friends and family how they should show their love to us. Most expectations are created under the influence of everything that we read, hear, see and experience every day. Then, our beliefs about love define our behavior and the way how we express our love for the people around us.
But, what is true love and what isn’t?
• Love is an action, not only emotion. You can’t show your love to your partner, friends or family only by sitting, watching and waiting someone to come to you and love you. Your love need to be seen, experienced, and demonstrated.
• Love is a free gift and can’t be earned or sold. You can’t make someone love you for any amount of money.
• Love is patient and kind, it is not intolerant and arrogant. True love waits patiently. Arrogance disrespects others and carries a disdain for others.
• Love is not egoistic. An egoistical person can’t act in love. Love is not possessive, stubborn or dominant.
• Love is unconditional and empathic.True love doesn’t say: “If you love me, you will do that for me.” If you really love someone, you will give the best of you to show that you care. You will be empathic and always ready to help in time of need.
• Love is a decision – “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind.”-Shakespeare
At the end, love gives meaning to our existence. Mark Twain said: “To get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.” To love someone and be loved it’s a joy and privilege. It’s a fire that feeds our life. If you want to experience the full happiness of this life, you need to find somebody to divide your true love with.