Whether you are just thirsty and want to quench your thirst with something cool, healthy and tasty or are looking for something to power up your day or give you more energy before and after your workout, these healthy smoothies and shakes are here to brighten your day.
Remember, you can always build up from these recipes and add to your own taste.
These healthy smoothies are best consumed instantly. Let’s kick off the list with the following recipe:
1. Berry, banana and vanilla smoothie
“It’s deliciously creamy and sweet.”
For this smoothie we will use all kinds of berries, low-fat diary, the rich taste of vanilla and a banana. It will turn out deliciously creamy and sweet. This can be a good morning starter smoothie to make your whole day nicer.
7oz. (200ml) low-fat milk
1/3cup of 1%-fat cottage cheese
¼ cup frozen unsweetened blueberries
¼ cup frozen unsweetened blackberries
¼ cup red grapes, frozen½ frozen banana, sliced
¼ tsp. vanilla extract
– Remember to cut up the banana in slices before putting it in the freezer.
– Wash your grapes and freeze them.
– Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. When adding the milk, add more or less to get the desired consistency.
– Add your choice of sweetener, if desired.
Makes 1 serving
Total fat: 1.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 31 g
Protein: 19 g
Sodium: 407 mg
Calcium: 361 mg
Magnesium: 51 mg
Potassium: 750 mg
2. A smoothie bowl
This smoothie recipe comes in a bowl and it can be a perfect breakfast smoothie that can replace your ordinary healthy smoothies. Since it will be poured into a bowl, it’s the time to get creative and experiment with other ingredients that you can add to the bowl.
1 ripe banana, frozen
Large handful of frozen raspberries
50z (150ml) milk of your choice
1 tbsp. of dried coconut
1 sliced kiwi
2 tbsp. pomegranate
½ cup fresh strawberries
½ cup frozen strawberries
– Slice and freeze the banana along with the raspberries and the strawberries
– Blend the banana, raspberries and strawberries(both frozen and not) until smooth and add milk to desired consistency.
– Add to the bowl the kiwi, pomegranate and coconut.
3. Orange and peach smoothie
This smoothie is full of vitamin C that will boost your immune system, and reduce the risk of stroke and improve your vascular system.
2 large peaches, sliced (about 2 cups)
½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
2 cups light, no sugar added ice cream
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1 cup fat-free milk
– Add all the ingredients in to a blender and blend until smooth
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Carbohydrate: 28 grams
Sugars: 4 grams
Dietary fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 7 grams
Fat: 4.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 95 mg
4. Grains and apple shake
It’s like an apple pie in a glass, but full of protein, unlike your grandma’s apple pie dessert.
1 cup of spinach
2 tbsp of almonds
¼ cup of uncooked oats
2 scoops vanilla flavored protein
12 oz water, milk, or yogurt
1. Remove the core of the apple and slice it into wedges. Leave the skin for extra phyto-nutrients.
2. Crush the almonds and mix them in with the oats
3. Blend everything together
4. Add ice if needed and cinnamon to taste
(when using water instead of milk/yogurt)
58 g protein
5. Strawberry-banana protein shake
What isn’t there to like about bananna and strawberry?
Adding ground flax to the shake will provide you with healthy omega 3 fats and extra fiber.
2 scoops vanilla or strawberry flavored protein powder
1 cup of frozen strawberries
1 cup of spinach
2 tbsp of ground flax
12 oz water, milk
To prepare this smoothie like many other healthy smoothies, just mix all the ingredients and blend until smooth
6. Peanut Butter Smoothie
Cocoa and peanut butter make for a delicious smoothie. With a bit of vanilla it becomes better than a reese’s cup.
2/3 cup frozen banana slices
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons natural-style smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup 1% or nonfat milk plus
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup crushed ice
Optional: 1 packet Splenda or other alternative sweetener of your choice
Add ingredients to blender or food processor and pulse until mixture is blended and smooth.
Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Makes 1 serving
10 g protein
25 g carbohydrate
3.8 g saturated fat
8.2 g monounsaturated